Friday, June 1, 2012

Melanie Griggs Eppich

I have really enjoyed everyone's updates so I thought it might be fun to give the quick version of the last ten years for anyone not interested in looking at my blog link (long and boring and probably way more info than you want anyway :) ). So here's the highlights:
I worked at Mini Mart (the Shell station in Thornton the summer after graduation) and while I wasn't sure life could get better than that, I moved to Logan, Utah in August of 2002 to go attend Utah State University.  I spent 2 full years in Logan changing majors and playing in the mountains and loving every minute of it! By my Junior year I was informed that I needed to pick a major and STICK WITH IT if I wanted to continue going to school. I picked the major I was the closest to completing which happened to be Exercise Science. I decided that would probably be a good place to start (or finish. . . or whatever).  The summer after my Junior year I packed up everything I owned and piled it into my little car and moved to a tiny town 2 hours east of Dallas, Texas.  Let's just say that if anything could go "wrong" on this adventure, it did- however, looking back, it was a life changing experience.  While there, I worked in a factory that produced those little wax paper pastry sheets that you grab your donut out of the case with (and I thought there was nothing better than the Mini Mart!).  I spent 2 months living, working, and experiencing the lone star state up close and personal and I can now say I truly miss it and it's southern hospitality. I then moved back to Logan for my Senior year. 
In April 2006 (just prior to graduation) , I received a call from Brian Meldrum (some of you may remember him from JR high when he terrorized our school for a couple of trimesters). He was in Salt Lake and wanted me to hang out with him and a couple of his friends from back home in Washington state.  I thought one of his friends was pretty cute (and he drove a really sweet truck) though despite my efforts, his friend spoke only a few words to me (upon entering his truck I said I liked country music and he asked me who the artist was, when I didn't know he said "then you don't really like country music.")  The evening ended and I headed back to Logan.
I graduated in May 2006 with a BS in Exercise Science (PE), a minor in Parks and Recreation and and emphasis in Recreational Therapy (I know it's a mouth full). I then moved to Jackson Hole, WY to manage a ranch office where I worked long hours for little pay and spent what little time I had hiking, biking, and playing outside. In July, I received a mysterious text from a Washington area code.  Yep, it was the friend with the truck.  We texted all night until I got off work and then talked on the phone until nearly 4 am.  
We talked every night for the next 2 months until Keldon (aka Kel, a farm boy from WA) moved to Rexburg and began working for my dad and started school at BYU-I.  I quit my job and moved home in September and Kel and I were engaged in October 2006.
We officially became Kel and Mel in January of 2007 on the coldest day of the year and I feel overwhelmed everyday that I found such an amazing man to share my life!
We moved to Idaho Falls and I worked for US Bank as a teller and at Apple Athletic Club as a fitness consultant until April when I was offered a position at the Behavioral Health Center as a Recreational Therapist.  Kel began working there as well in 2008 and we enjoyed the "Craziness" together.  We bought a house in Ammon in 2007 and promptly added a boxer puppy (Tuff) to our family.
In 2009, with the fall of the economy we became concerned about having "all our eggs in one basket" and despite absolutely loving my job, on a whim I applied for a job as a clinical exercise specialist at a residential treatment center for girls with eating disorders (my dream job) in Logan, Utah.  When the job offer came I jumped at the chance to move back to the mountains I loved (and leave the wind of Idaho behind). We couldn't sell our house so we ended up renting it out and moved to Utah.  I honestly didn't think there was a job out there that I could compete with my job at the BHC but I was wrong- I've loved the challenges of that population.  Kel began working as a Maintenance Supervisor for a large property management company in 2010 and be built our second house in Nibley in 2011.  
I just changed careers again, hopefully for the last time, when I became a mommy to our sweet "littlest" son on April 3, 2012.  After a scary few weeks, he was born 2 weeks early at a whopping 4 lbs 15.5 ounces.  He has been our little miracle and while I loved my careers- I could never have imagined the joy this little boy could bring to my life.
The last ten years have been riddled with hard times, but looking back I feel like the luckiest woman in the world. I love my boys and my life and couldn't ask for more! I'm excited for the reunion and catching up!

1 comment:

Jill Hancock said...

mel: its good to get the full update! our university studies were pretty much the same! crazy! congrats on the job and house! you deserve all the best!

Post a Comment