Thursday, June 28, 2012

Chris Marcum




A lot can happen in 10 years, so I'll just start at the high light - my wife. Shortly after returning home from my mission, I reconnected with a couple of our class mates, Kim Erickson (Kim West, now) and Sean West. I think they took pity on me because I was so awkward and had lost what little game I may have had, so Kim set me up on a blind date with their neighbor down the street who had moved in the year prior. I nervously knocked on the door to pick up my date and was brought inside by my future father-in-law, where I first laid eyes on my wife-to-be. Of course at the time I was actually picking up her sister, Patty, for the date. But I still remember seeing Jules and thinking, "yowza." 

Jules' and I had an odd courtship. Basically it was non-existent. We were in the same ward at BYU-Idaho and her home teacher wasn't around much, so I took it upon myself to sacrifice my time and visit the hottest girl in the ward (it was tough, but someones gotta do it). We became friends and enjoyed being around each other. We'd go out on a date every few months, but it never really progressed. Throughout the process we dated other people, but always stayed in touch. Long story short, she went on a mission, we wrote each other, fell in love and got married 3 months after she came home. It's been a party every since. 

I graduated from BYU-Idaho in 2009 with a degree in Communications (advertising) and a minor degree in Culinary Arts. Seems random, but I love to cook and I needed something to keep me sane through my education. I'm now working as the marketing manager for a software company in Provo, Utah. Jules and I bought a house last year in Spanish Fork, where we've been living since. Jules actually blogs quite a bit about the work we're doing on our house and you can see that here: http://chrislovesjulia.com

A little over 2 years ago we added little Greta to our family. Greta is tall for a 2 year old. I feel bad for her sometimes because people think she's 3 or 4 years old and they expect her to behave that way, but she's not even 2.5 yet. And she has staggering amounts of energy; I've never known a kid with such energy. And I know it's not just me, because her pediatrician says the same thing. But she's smart as a whip and keeps things interesting, that's for sure. We really love that little girl and get so excited every day to see the new things she learns.

Anyway, that's us. We're livin' the dream down here in Utah County. We'll be at the reunion so we're looking forward to seeing those of you that are there. If anyone is living down this way, let us know. We'd love to connect - we're all about having people over.

chris

2 comments:

Jaxon said...

Sup homie.... you rock.

Unknown said...

can't wait to see you at the reunion! p.s. it was great to hear your courtship story, finally!

Post a Comment