Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Alan Patterson



 After high school, I started attending BYU-Idaho in the fall. I finished up two semesters before leaving on an LDS mission to Baltimore, Maryland. Crazy fact – at one point, we had 5 missionaries from Rexburg in our mission (one being Ben Brubaker). After returning home, I went right back to school and decided to major in accounting. A few months later, I met my wife Kristy on campus. She is from Southern California (Anaheim area). We started dating and were married in August 2006. We have had a lot of fun together and shared some exciting experiences. We lived in Connecticut for 4 months in the winter of 2008 as I was working on my internship for an accounting firm there. We were only an hour train ride from New York City so we were able to see most of the sites on the weekend and got to see quite a few Broadway shows.
I graduated with my Bachelors of Accounting in July 2008 and moved to Utah to attend the University of Utah to work on my Master’s degree. I finished that up a year later and we decided to stay in Utah as my wife has a brother and sister living here. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that at first but we have grown to love the area. We bought a house in West Jordan where we still live. After graduating, I found a job with Deloitte, a large global accounting firm with an office in downtown Salt Lake. I am a tax accountant mostly dealing with business tax. Kristy and I decided to start a family and had a boy in October 2009, who we named Tanner. He has kept us on our toes for the past 2+ years. He is constantly on the move, which has caused him some pain (5 staples in his head to close a gash and recently a broken elbow after falling off his bike). He enjoys cars and sports, especially going to BYU football games (yes I know, I went to the U of U but stayed true to the Cougars despite taking a lot of heat from my classmates).
The first year after Tanner was born was very busy for us. I was working a lot of hours during tax season and also studying for the CPA exam. I was lucky enough to pass the exam and am now a Certified Public Accountant. Things were going smoothly when we decided to add a second child to our family. Kristy and I were worried that having two children would be difficult with me spending long hours at the office. I was able to find a new job with a company called Extra Space Storage working in their tax department. I started there in December 2011 and we have loved the change. Shortly after I started my new job we added our second son, Trevor, to the family. So far, he seems less busy than his older brother was but we will see how long that lasts. We enjoy being parents and the challenges that come with raising two boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AND you're coming to the reunion, right alan?!

Post a Comment