Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kersten Hendricks Searle






After High School I attended BYU-Idaho for about 1.5 semesters and then on 16 August 2003 I married my husband Matt, who is from Shelley. It seems like we've spent most of our marriage moving around (just completed our 14th move last December).
Shortly after getting married we moved to Orlando, Florida. Matt got his degree in Audio Engineering at Full Sail University. While he was at school I worked at a fitness center, and then at a Veterinary Clinic. We played a lot and also endured 5 severe hurricanes. After all our hurricanes we decided Florida was not the place for us, and when Matt graduated we moved to Los Angeles, California, where we lived for 5 years. There my husband worked at an Independent Record Label, Cheap Lullaby Records. In 2006 I had my first son, Arley. People there thought we were crazy when I chose to be a stay-at-home-mom, though I also took some night classes on the side. 

Eventually the company Matt worked for made the move to Wisconsin, so after some thought we felt it was time to come back to Rexburg. I went back to school full time and my first week back I found out I was pregnant again. I got to finish my first year back at college, super pregnant and miserable. I got the swine flu among various other ailments, but still managed to finish my last semester of the year four days before I had my second son, Henry in December 2009. 

I continued at BYU-Idaho until Matt was transferred to Provo for his job. We loved Provo and only ended up living there 6 months before Matt was surprised by the perfect job at BYU-Idaho working for the BYU-I center running their post-audio department. With that we moved back to Rexburg, and have now been back for about 1.5 years. We bought a house here in December, and I just had my third child, Evelyn, May 17th. 

My kids are awesome and crazy. Arley is a whirlwind of energy and emotion. He is constantly singing, or just making noise, I can see him following in my dramatic nature. The poor kid spent more time in the principal's office his first year at school than I ever have. It makes me dread when he'll be a teenager. Henry loves sports and can take his big brother down in about 2 seconds flat. He does not get his athletic ability from me, as I have none. He also loves music, and likes to drum and play air guitar. So far Evelyn is a great baby, she will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. All I can really say about her so far is that she sleeps great at night (from 5-8 hours) and has from the start.

As far as I go, I'm planning on again returning to school to finally finish my last little bit of my BA. My plan is to major in English, and then eventually get my Master's in Library Science, with the intention of becoming a children's librarian. On the side I also love to sew, crochet, knit, decorate, and paint. Now that we live somewhere with a decent yard (yards are hard to come by in Orlando & LA) I also plan on giving gardening a try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wowzers! three kids! way to go, kersten! you have lived in two of the best cities in the country (not rexburg or provo, the other two mentioned)! hope to see you at the reunion!

Post a Comment