Monday, May 28, 2012

Alyssa Hill Haws

















I've enjoyed posting people's updates to this blog...I guess I better take my turn :)  I've got to agree with everyone else,  10 years has really flown by.

Immediately after graduating, I started summer classes at BYU-Idaho.  That next fall, I move into student housing and absolutely had a blast.  I switched my major three times before finally settling on Public Health.  I graduated in December 2005 with my Bachelors.

In January 2006-June 2007, I served a mission to Albuquerque, NM.  I spent the majority of my time with the Navajo people near the Four Corners area.  They are very humble and spiritual people.  I loved teaching the gospel and seeing people embrace it.

A week after returning from my mission, I began dating Wes Haws.  He graduated from Madison in 2001.  He swept me off my feet!  We married in the Rexburg Temple Feb. 11, 2008.  We spent 2 months in Ethiopia for our honeymoon. While in Ethiopia we fell in love with 5 orphan children.

In May 2009,  our son Everett was born.  Two months after his birth, Wes was offered a job in Ethiopia.  We jumped at the chance!!  Upon taking the job in Ethiopia, we knew we also wanted to adopt the 5 children we had met on our first trip.  We added Mubarek, Mesafint, Damitu, Tofik, and Gutama to our family.

We lived in Ethiopia for almost two years as a family of 8.  My husband was attacked by an angry villager in August 2010.  It was a scary time for all of us.  He made a miraculous recovery.  Upon the completion of our children's adoption in May 2011, we moved our family to Rexburg, Idaho.

Our children are adjusting and enjoying America.  They especially enjoy soccer and anything athletic!  We've also stayed busy with the opening of our small grocery store called Super Savers near World Gym in Rexburg.  Our family has been very blessed!

That's my 10 years in a nutshell!  We'd love to have more people submit updates---Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

1 comment:

Jennifer Brizzee said...

That is so amazing Alyssa, what a great family you have. And my parents live right by your grocery store, so I have been in there a few times. It's a great little store.

Post a Comment